Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: Diabetes and mental health

Thanks @Shaz51. less processed food then I'll be aiming for more fruit & green salads. More water is easy, I'll cut down on coffee and tea. Exercise and weight management are big issues for me too but I'm aware of community guidelines. 

Just keep a eye on the sugary contents in some fruits like too many grapes are no good etc @Dimity 

My diabetes was caused by my kidney disease 

I have coffee but am using substitute sugar instead of real sugar 

Just little changes will make a difference 

Hey @Dimity ,

I went through the Life! program as I mentioned the other night. 

All in all, I realised it was not about diets, but rather, an entire lifestyle change.

I always thought I was a healthy eater with the occasional sweets. After going away with my sister and her family (who is VERY healthy), I realised there were many little unhealthy 'habits' that I had. For example, I don't make time to eat. Rather, I eat a huge amount when I have time.

The Life! program taught us about portioning and how to read food labels etc. They also recommended an app called FoodSwitch, where you scan the barcode of food products, and they give you healthier alternatives.

This was a start.

I also have a lot to work on in terms of this lifestyle change. It's good to know others are also in the same boat - not about just losing weight, but rather, to be healthier and prevent lifestyle diseases.

tyme

Thank you @tyme  and very true @Dimity 

Hi @tyme @Shaz51 thanks for your suggestions. I've signed up for the Life! program and have my first session this week. I've been pretty good at avoiding highly processed foods but look forward to learning better habits re diet, sleep and exercise. One of my medications is notorious for weight gain so it won't be easy, but hey I'll see how I go. 

Yes @Dimity on of Mr shaz meds does the same  xx

I am trying to maintain our weights for us 

You're very good @Shaz51 I'll need to rethink mealtimes and portion control but I suspect exercise will be one of the keys for me. With any luck the changes will help my depression too. I've been a couch potato. 

That sounds great @Dimity !

Look, I'll be honest, i wasn't the most compliant participate of the Life! program.

I've still got my workbook to refer to. 

In the past, I've also attended Western Bulldog's Daughters of the West program. That was SENSATIONAL! We have a health topic each week, then a fitness session. Exclusive to women. There is also a Sons of the West program, exclusive to men. It is a 10 week program. They encourage people on the NDIS to join, or people with health concerns etc. I found it very comfortable to be part of their program. Only catch, you must reside in certain Melb municipalities. Another round begins mid-July 2022. https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/foundation/programs/daughters-of-the-west?https://www.westernbull...

Great to see you so proactive @Dimity !

tyme

@tyme I'm on the wrong side of the city but thanks for the suggestion.  I had my first session today and was very impressed. As well as getting baseline health diet and exercise they screen for anxiety and depression. The goals look achievable too. 

Woohoo! @Dimity .

It's not magic, but it's a start.

All the best,

tyme

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance