Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: Mum of an adult schizophrenic and substance abuser

Thank you, I am often told I am a strong person. I rarely think it true though and I very much understand the desire to "look away" 😞

You ARE a strong person (I know you don't always feel that way), because you have NOT looked away.

Hi @JRS 

I just wanted to stop by and leave you a quick welcome message. 

It's great to see you're already posting and engaging with our friendly members. 

Feel free to Introduce yourself here if you haven’t already!

Hope to see you around on the forums 🙂

Not sure how to add onto my original post, so I'm probably replying to myself lol. I took my daughter to her appointment at the MHC to reengage and ask for a medication re-evaluation, so that's a step in the right direction.

After an intense 45 minutes of the doctor asking questions, and my daughter answering them, and me keeping very quiet, she left the room abruptly. I could see she was getting frustrated and tired, and things weren't going her way... She really wanted an alternative to meth. She did return after a short time, but while she was gone the doctor said "I couldn't say this while she was in the room, but she has a personality disorder." (on top of everything else).

She has become so arrogant, rude, loud, self centred and doesn't get on with anyone, at all.

He did kind of point that out to her when she returned, but did NOT use the words "personality disorder". Should I mention this to her?

He has added a little of an oral non tiring anti psychotic to her current monthly depo shot. She needs to get bloods and urine done before she has both, so they have a base line.

Hey @Farside ,

She's so fortunate to have you support her.

I have BPD, and the name can be quite invalidating in that it implies you have something innately wrong with your personality and hence you as a person.

Some people refer to it as 'complex trauma'. 

I hope to go into this more another day. 

In all this, please look after yourself @Farside . It's not easy, but there is hope.

Thank you. I guess you are correct, there's no real benefit to me giving it a name. Maybe it will be addressed as she moves through the MH and or Addiction system... I don't have much faith in them.

In my recovery, I have to say that there had to come to a point where I wanted to change. 

Do you feel you daughter is wanting or ready to make changes? 

Changes are certainly not easy. It takes a lot of effort to maintain the change too @Farside 

How are you travelling today anyway?

Hi @tyme my daughter 'says' she wants to get help for her addiction/s. She is going to contact the Drug and Alcohol Addiction Clinic for an appointment. Fingers crossed!

I'm travelling OK, thanks. I have my GSon (her son) over most Friday nights, and we do park visits and activities until I return him Saturday afternoon. He does love staying over, and spending time with me and his Granddad.

As exhausting as he can be lol, it comforts me to check on his mental health, know he's safe and ensure he gets some normality in his life.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance